Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Election Day, 2008

Another exquisite day here, and sunshine and blue skies may well get voters to the polls. Obama is unlikely to win Loozerana. But Mary Landrieu will keep the Senate seat for the Democrats.

At about 8:30, clutching the latest New Yorker to read in line, I swung by the school where we vote. A line outside was fairly long but didn’t discourage me, and I headed toward the end when two neighbors came out. “There’s no line at our precinct,” one said, and she was right. I flashed my driver’s license, signed the book, and one of the judges pointed to the voting booth. I was in and out in about 10minutes.

Another judge asked, “Are you related to Larry Lorenz?”
“Yes,” I said.
“Are you his brother?”
“No, I am he.”
“Well, you sounded just like him.”

Turns out she was a student of mine more than 20 years ago. I remembered her name but would not have recognized her, even to ask if she were her sister.

“You taught me ‘the medium is the message,’” she said. “I’ll never forget that.”

How nice it is to be remembered for something.

No comments: